The Stanley Ohana

Ohana means family...and family means nobody gets left behind.. or forgotten." -Lilo and Stitch

Friday, August 15, 2008

First Day of School

Wednesday was the kids' first day of school. Kenzie started Kindergarten (doesn't she look so grown up in her uniform?) and Mason is in 3rd grade. Most of you know that I teach 3rd grade at the same school and since it's a small school there is only one class of third graders. So, I am his teacher this year. So far it has gone well. Mason calls me Mrs. Stanley at school and understands that I will be treating him just like everyone else. I told him that it's like I am two separate people, teacher at school and mom at home. Kind of like a superhero with a secret identity. :)
We are off school today for "Admissions Day". Hawaii was admitted as a state on Aug. 21, 1959. The third friday in August is the official holiday. The kids and I did our "Saturday chores" today and I'm going to work on some things for school.
The holiday worked out perfect because I stayed up until almost midnight watching the Olympics. I love watching swimming and gymnastics and was so excited that the U.S. took gold and silver in the women's all-around. What was super cool was seeing Mary Lou Retton in the stands cheering them on. I was 9 during the 84 Olympics (I know I'm revealing my age!) and was just so blown away by her talent. I remember her picture on the Wheaties box. The best thing about her is that she continued to be a positive role model for years and years, even still today. I hope that todays amazing Olympic athletes follow in her footsteps by leading lives that are worthy of admiration. I get so tired of hearing about todays "role-models" who are not someone I would want my daughter to look up to (Spears, Hilton....) and athletes failing drug tests.
Anyway, I guess I've done enough babbling on.
Have a great weekend.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:10 PM , Blogger dave and sarah said...

    Super cute uniform Kenzie and Mason you look great too. We are excited as Emma is for her to go back next Wednesday. Her and Lauren need some alone time from eachother. :)
    Amy, I love your blog, I too stayed up way too late and Marina and I were cheering during the gymnastics. It was a great Olympic night and I too remember Mary Lou Retton.

     
  • At 11:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I won't reveal my age but Mary Lou was a favorite. Kenzie and Mason you both look so grown up and the uniforms are so neat. Have a wonderful school year and of course that means you to Amy and Bob. Love to all

     
  • At 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Back to school already! Sure seems like the summer flew by. Just think, next year this time...I'm sure this school year will fly by as quickly. Does Mrs. Stanley have a superhero uniform too?

     
  • At 7:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Back to school already! Sure seems like the summer flew by. Just think, next year this time...I'm sure this school year will fly by as quickly. Does Mrs. Stanley have a superhero uniform too?

     
  • At 3:34 PM , Blogger Reb said...

    Love the uniforms!! I especially like Mason's accessory:) Mackenzie does look so grown up in her uniform!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home