The Stanley Ohana

Ohana means family...and family means nobody gets left behind.. or forgotten." -Lilo and Stitch

Monday, June 30, 2008

Update

I promised an update when I had more info, so here it is. 
          We got a call Friday afternoon to set up an appointment Monday morning to sign papers and get the keys to our house. So, this morning Bob went in and started the paperwork for a 4 bedroom end unit. We were happy about that and had our walk-through at 4:00 this afternoon with a lady from the housing office. Right after we finished the walk-through, signed more paperwork and the housing lady left, Bob's cell phone rang. It was the manager from the housing office saying that they had made a mistake in their system and that they have a family with at least three kids who need a four bedroom but the don't have any four bedrooms left. He wanted us to take the three bedroom house across the street. I heard Bob tell him that we would like to at least look at it before making a decision and he said he would be right over. I think he was pretty desperate to get us to change our minds since it was his mistake and he would be taking the heat for it! It turns out that the house across the street is a three bedroom, end unit, handicap accessible house. It is smaller than the two-story four bedroom by about 100 sq. feet. But, when we got inside we realized some advantages to this house. For one, the garage opens straight into the house, where as the two-story doesn't. You have to walk outside a short distance to go inside the house. The master bedroom in the one-story is huge, but doesn't have a walk in closet. The light switches are all lower but I was surprised to find that the counters weren't very much shorter, if at all. The laundry room feels bigger, I think because the hallways and doorways are bigger. Plus, we don't need a fourth bedroom to use as an office in either house because the family room has so much extra space. Either way, we had planned to use the family room for an office. So, after looking around we said that we would take it. I think both of us were also picturing some poor family with 5 kids getting stuck with a three bedroom house! Bryan (the housing guy) thanked us and seemed very grateful that we were rescuing him from a bad situation. 
      But wait, that's not the end of the story. I had a prayer meeting that I had to rush off to, so Bob and the kids dropped me off and went to McDonalds. Not more than 15 minutes later Bob calls me to let me know that Bryan called him again and the family who needed the four bedroom is actually PCSing (leaving the Island) and so now we could have the choice between the two houses. At this point I'm wondering if that is a blessing or a curse. Mason was voting 4 bedroom, Kenzie said 3. Bob told Bryan we would decide in the morning because he has a meeting with him at 8:30am anyway. 
     So, when I got home tonight we poured over the advantages and disadvantages of each house. Sometimes its better not to have a choice! :) Anyway, in the end we've decided to stick with the three bedroom, one story. I've never (that I can remember) lived in a ranch style house (except the house on Freeman Drive but it did have a basement) and it will be something different. Oh, and it has a park right out the back door, where as the two-story has the freeway out the back door. 
    I told Bob that I am not going to call the cable company until we are for sure, though. If all goes as planned we are going to pick up a 14' u-haul truck tomorrow afternoon and get all the big stuff taken over by the evening. Bob has already lined up a couple of friends to help with the heavy stuff. So, we should be sleeping in our new house tomorrow! Yea! 
    As much as I have complained about this whole process I have to remind myself that we are blessed to spend our last year on this beautiful Island in a brand new house. When you think about the cost of living here it makes you grateful for the benefits that we do gain through the military. All in all, the military has been a great career for Bob and we have had all of our needs taken care of. That really is a blessing! 
    Tomorrow I'll take pictures. :) 

4 Comments:

  • At 4:54 AM , Blogger dave and sarah said...

    Congratulations. You all deserve any perks that come with the military life!!! I can't wait to see pics of the house. We love our ranch style and you may too. Don't work too hard moving stuff, that's the guy's job.

     
  • At 7:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations! Wish I was there to help you move. Sounds like you made the right decision. :)

     
  • At 7:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yippie! I'm glad you're happy. The best thing about a ranch is that everything is on the same floor come laundry day!!!

     
  • At 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am so excited for you! Can't wait to see pictures or better yet maybe...see it in person before you leave that beautiful island!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home