The Stanley Ohana

Ohana means family...and family means nobody gets left behind.. or forgotten." -Lilo and Stitch

Friday, August 08, 2008

Another broken arm

Well, we have had some excitement in the last 24 hours. Last night around 6:30 Mason was playing tag at the park with some friends. The park is literally right out our back door. We can see the kids from inside the house. Anyway, he came in crying saying he had fallen while jumping from the slide. I guess when he jumped another kid ran underneath and Mason's feet hit the kids shoulder. This caused him to land on his arm instead of his feet. At first he said his arm felt numb. It looked normal and there wasn't any swelling that I could see. So, we iced it for about an hour but it was still hurting pretty bad. We decided all 4 of us would take a trip to the ER. The short version of this story is that we were there from 8:00pm-5:30am, made 4 trips to x-ray, had a morphin drip through an iv, and spent a lot of time waiting! Dr. Chen, the ortho Dr., decided to put a splint on it. His left humerus is fractured at the top, near the shoulder. We go back for x-rays and a follow-up on Monday afternoon. Dr. Chen believes that it will heal well because he is young. He wants to keep a close watch however because there is a small chance that the growth plate will be affected. We pray that is not the case.
Mason was an excellent patient. He cried getting the iv but otherwise was amazingly patient with all the waiting, especially considering how much pain he was having in the ER waiting room. (I'll blog about the ER waiting room a different day. What an interesting place!)
Mackenzie was also a trooper. She waited with the utmost patience and was very sympathetic and kind to her brother. She got to lay down in an empty hospital bed around 12:30 and people kept commenting on how heavy she was sleeping. She slept for about 3 hours.
Mason is doing great today. The kids and dad got caught up on a fair amount of sleep today. I went into work around 10am. We are having a really great guest speaker for our teacher training and I have a lot to do in my classroom before Wednesday.
One more prayer request. I hate waiting rooms because it seems we always get sick after being there. Please pray that none of us get sick. This weekend and next week are really busy and honestly I don't think I can afford to be home. I have way too much to get done!
Enjoy the pictures!

"The slide"

He's supposed to wear the sling, but we were instructed not to make it too tight or raise his arm up. The Dr. wants it down so that gravity can do its thing on that bone.
I have no idea how we are going to get his school uniform polo shirt over that! Bob is very opposed to cutting his brand new uniform shirts!
It's not all fun and games!

7 Comments:

  • At 4:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Poor guy, I have been praying on and off all day since getting the call this morning. That is high slide, to bail off of :) Sure looks like he is being a trooper about it. Mason you are a tough guy! I am proud of you.

     
  • At 4:50 PM , Blogger Reb said...

    Oh Mason! What a bummer. Sounds like you were a trooper with all those xrays and all the waiting! Will be praying for good alignment of the fracture and great healing with complete mobility of the arm in no time flat. Let me know if you need a personal OT to travel to Hawaii:) As far as the polos are concerned, maybe you could stretch the left arm hole. Just make sure you put the left arm in first, then the head and then the right arm so it doesn't pull on the left shoulder:)

     
  • At 5:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OH MY!!! I'm so glad I have girls! I hope you have a speedy recovery Mason!

     
  • At 3:56 PM , Blogger dave and sarah said...

    Mason, you sound like you are a tough one! Good for you and we will be praying for you and your family that you all stay healthy.

    Emma says: "Mason, I hope your arm gets better soon! Try to use the slide safetly."

    I'm pretty sure my girls would not be that patient. :(

     
  • At 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I say go for it . . cut off the sleeve. With the broken arm and a cut off shirt Mason will look so tough! He will be fighting off all of the girls. :) As far as the waiting room is concerned. . don't worry Sarah even I would not be that patient. Unless I had a bed to sleep in like Kenz.

     
  • At 6:22 PM , Blogger -Stacy and Ted said...

    oh no Mason! We just heard about your injury tonight at your Grandpa's birthday party! We hope you're feeling better soon!

     
  • At 12:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That just makes me shiver! I am praying for you! You and Uncle Andy! No wonder I have gray hair!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home