The Stanley Ohana

Ohana means family...and family means nobody gets left behind.. or forgotten." -Lilo and Stitch

Friday, December 05, 2008

Everything will change..

I had the sudden realization this evening that in about 6 more months we are going to be making some really big changes in our lives. Retiring from the military is just the beginning of the change to come. 

I guess it started at the kids dentist appointment when I scheduled their next check-up for June. I told the receptionist that it would be our last appointment. Wow, we will be starting all over with dentists, doctors, school, neighbors, and swimming/gymnastics lessons. From this point on we have so many "lasts" in Hawaii, which has been home for the past 5 years. Last week was our last Thanksgiving here. Soon will be our last Christmas here. You get the idea. :) 

Now, granted we have much familiarity that we will be coming home to-church, shopping, restaurants, and of course our family. But, I began to wonder, will it really be the same? I called my parents tonight and left a message on their home phone. Then I gave mom's cell phone a try. She answered that and said they were actually at home playing dominos with two other couples. Couples that are probably closer to my age than theirs! I think I was actually a little hurt that they chose to ignore my phone call because they were having fun at that moment. (Don't worry Mom, I'm over it now! **Can you believe my mom called me right after I typed that sentence? She is so awesome!)   I don't think I expected everyone we left 5 years ago to sit around staring at the calendar, counting the days until our return. But, you just don't realize all the changes that have taken place in everyone's lives. Katie  was 14 when we left and pretty much always available to babysit for one thing. :) To be fair, we've changed too. The kids are more grown up and that puts us at a different place in our life too. 

I guess the bottom line is that moving back won't be like when we come to visit where everyone puts their normal life on hold to spend time with us. And, it won't be anything like us being 3 time zones away, only talking on the phone and mailing packages for birthdays. It will be somewhere in the middle, all of us living normal everyday lives, but getting to make memories in the midst of the commonplace, mundane tasks of life. That is what sharing life with your family is all about. And I for one can't wait! :)

7 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Selfishly, I wish you weren't leaving until Jim and Lora leave. You know, both families on the same day. I am glad you'll get to be with your family again. Nothing takes the place of real family. You know, the ones who've known you all your life and know all those little things they will never tell. I know you will be missed in Hawaii when you leave and especially at the church and the school. I was hoping Chloe would have you for a teacher. Maybe if they get Nebraska, you will still be her teacher one day.
    Enjoy your last Christmas in Hawaii because the rest of them will be cold and snowy, I'm sure.

     
  • At 6:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OK, I feel guilty! I don't normally screen calls! So, if any of you call and we are home, I will definately answer from now on!!! We are also going through the "lasts." At our Thanksgiving events & Christmas tree getting, we said about 100 times, this will be our last Thanksgiving without the Stanleys! Love you, and can't wait for a whole new set of "firsts."

     
  • At 12:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have been waiting for the day you would come home since I was 14 and I know you guys are going to be sad but I can't wait!

     
  • At 6:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Don't worry Amy, there will always be a spot at our table for the Stanley's to play dominos! We can't wait for you to get home!

     
  • At 10:09 AM , Blogger Kelly Anne said...

    Man, this blog hits home. I miss Omaha and my family and friends there so much. And yet every time I go back for a visit, it hits me that you really can't go back home, not in the sense that it's never the home you remember. Things and people change, priorities change, etc. And yet I long for home all the same, even knowing it'll never be what I remember.

    Good luck with your last six months in HI! Enjoy it to the fullest! And good luck with the transition involved in moving back home. At least you have a top class family that makes that kind of transition a lot easier!

     
  • At 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Amy, You almost made me cry... I'm going to miss you and Bob and the kids so much!!! I know we don't get together as much as we use to, but you're the closest friend I have!!! Jim and I were discussing that we'll be in the same boat you all are in this time next year since we'll be leaving here in Apr 2010... Maybe it's in God's plans to have us go to Nebraska... I'm still working on convinsing Jim! :-)

     
  • At 4:51 PM , Blogger -Stacy and Ted said...

    Awww Amy... In our excitement to have you home I sometimes forget that you guys won't feel like you're "Home" right away here! You've spent a long time in HI and have made tons of great friends, etc. It WILL be a transition for sure... but I can honestly say that it does seem like we HAVE been calendar watching!!! I can't remember a family event where you guys HAVEN'T been mentioned... or when we commented about when you'll be back. We can't WAIT to have you home for good! It will be different, but I can guarantee you it will be wonderful! We've missed you so SO SO much!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home