The Stanley Ohana

Ohana means family...and family means nobody gets left behind.. or forgotten." -Lilo and Stitch

Thursday, December 21, 2006

The first two days of Christmas break





Yesterday was craft day and today was baking day! The kids have decorated aprons, made Christmas pins and baked/decorated cookes.
Isn't it amazing how much you learn about yourself when you have kids? I realize that I am not very patient in the kitchen. When I do bake (which is a rare occasion) I like to just get it done without a lot of time and effort. I guess that applies not just to baking but also to cooking as far as I'm concerned. If it's fast and easy count me in! Well, you just can't do sugar cookies fast and simple with a 6 year old and a 3 year old. It takes patience and a willingness to end up with a mess. (another part I don't like about being in the kitchen) Actually the kids did really well and once I "let go" and decided that the cookies didn't have to come out perfect it was ok. Mason was a big help with putting candy canes on the cupcakes.
Later we're going to take some goodies to our neighbors and then tonight we're going out for dinner with friends and going downtown to see the "Honolulu City Lights". We all went together last year and had such a good time.
I hope those of you in the midwest aren't in a blizzard. We'll be praying for safe conditions. :)

5 Comments:

  • At 7:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I like Kenzie's concentration face in that last cookie decorating picture!!! It is too cute!

     
  • At 7:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, I wish I was there to help sample cookies, the kids are looking so big. Kenzie almost looks like she could be four instead of three :)

     
  • At 6:14 PM , Blogger dave and sarah said...

    Your blog today is so funny cause I can SSOO relate to the whole control in the kitchen issue. But, we must remember that we are creating their Christmas memories so that's how I get through the mess and the extra time it takes to get the cookies done.

     
  • At 2:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Second post since the Christmas rush! What a great Mom! Looks like great family bonding. Those memories are precious!

     
  • At 2:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My favorite cookie baking memory...
    decorating sugar cookies with the kids...I turned my back to pull a pan out of the oven....turned around and Cameron had put the cinnamon dots in his mouth and was spitting them, in what he thought was a wonderful pattern, on each of the cookies. We kept those cookies for the family!!! Didn't go over well at the time but now we can laugh about it. I gave up all control issues with sugar cookies at that point! :) Looks like you had a wonderful holiday with a couple wonderful kids. Enjoy! Love ya!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home