The Stanley Ohana

Ohana means family...and family means nobody gets left behind.. or forgotten." -Lilo and Stitch

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Arrrrrgh!!

Arrrgh! ahoy mateys! Sorry I've been "out to sea" for so long. :) Not too much going on here so tonight I thought I would share with you one of my pet peeves!
It drives me crazy that McDonalds and every other retailer out there are going so overboard with the Pirates of the Caribbean stuff. I hate it when they take a PG-13 movie and market it for young children. When we were in the Disney store a few weeks ago, they had a ton of Pirates of the Carribean toys. Now tell me, do 13 year olds play with toy swords? (possibly, but that's another story) If you have seen the 1st Pirates movie you know that it is not appropriate for young children. I have enough trouble getting Kenzie to go upstairs by herself. Imagine if she thought there might be scary skeletons up there!
Check out this quote from a review on www.pluggedinonline.com (One of my favorite sites. It's by Focus on the Family and they review movies, dvd's and TV shows.) :
"The villains here aren't just crusty, peg-legged pirates who break out in a round of "Arrrgh!" competitions every once in a while. Instead, they're ghastly monsters who behead prisoners, thrive on torturing their own and swallow men whole—and that's just for lunch. Not exactly family theme park kind of stuff. (Does anyone even remember anymore that this franchise is based on a Disney ride?) "
My point exactly! If the movie isn't appropriate for kids, stop marketing it for kids!! We have too many McD Pirate toys (we go there too often, but again I'll leave that for another blog!) and the kids were so excited tonight that we finally got the treasure chest. It came with tatoos and after I put one on Mason, he said, "I'm a marked man" and then something about "Davey Jones". He has obviously seen too much promotional material for that movie.
I know, I could boycott McDonalds and the Disney Channel but frankly I'm not that motivated! :) Plus, I think Bob and I are going to see the movie this Saturday! Add $20 to the movies box-office total!
Anyway, I'm sure it will only continue and I know that Bob and I will have to be even more vigilant and put our foot down when we hear "but all the other kids are seeing it...." Luckily we haven't gotten there yet! :)

4 Comments:

  • At 8:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You say its not for people under 13. . shoot that movie scared me! Just wait until you see it. . Davy Jones is real creepy! Good luck with pirate poop poo! Love you all :)

     
  • At 11:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Me too!!! He is really creepy and they always do really close-up shots. We sat in the 4th row...talk about in your face! I do like the one-eyed guy and his friend, though! Hope you like it... but it isn't for small kids. I agree, advertising has gotten out of control.

     
  • At 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I haven't seen it,not sure I will but you're so right,Amy,too much advertisements. Just stick to your guns...I mean swords!!

     
  • At 5:15 PM , Blogger dave and sarah said...

    Emma also loves pirates, but it is because of the Backyardigans pretending that they are pirates. I don't have that hassle of her wanting to see movies yet, but for the future...both girls will quickly learn that just because their friends are doing something, DOES NOT mean that we do it too. I just get so tired of all of the dumb little happy meal toys around the house. When Emma is looking the other way, I try to "downsize" the collection of junk and hope that she doesn't notice...so far so good.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home