The Stanley Ohana

Ohana means family...and family means nobody gets left behind.. or forgotten." -Lilo and Stitch

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Narnia Day








Sorry that I have been away for 2 weeks! This is partly what has kept me so busy. I surprised my class with a "Narnia Day" on Friday. We just finished reading The Lion, the Witch, and the wardrobe in Literature and it has been a tradition to have a special day to celebrate. The kids thought they were going on a field trip but didn't know where. On the outside of the door (which I didn't get a picture of) we had a cardboard wardrobe door that they walked through to enter the classroom that was transformed into the land of Narnia. As you can see we even had a visit from Mr. Tumnus (you can just see his head) and the White Witch stopped by. The white witch in the picture is our assistant principal who used to teach 3rd grade. She came up with this whole idea a few years ago and all the props have been saved over the years. It was so much fun! I loved this story before but after teaching it and then doing this special day, it has easily become one of my favorite books. You would be amazed at the discussions we had regarding the Christian parallels in the story!
Anyway, it took some work but it was so much fun. They watched the movie, took turns playing dress up in the castle, ate Turkish Delight, and had tea with Mr. Tumnus.
Oh and don't ask Mason about it because we tried our best to keep it a secret from the lower grades. We don't want to ruin their surprise! :)
Have a great week, everyone!

5 Comments:

  • At 11:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow I wish I was back in school! We didn't do any of this neat stuff :) I bet the kids loved it!!

     
  • At 4:50 PM , Blogger Reb said...

    Looks like a ton of work, but a great time!!! You make me want to read the book again.

     
  • At 2:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Amy, what a neat time for kids. Mel's right, I don't remember anything like that when we were growing up. I have to admit I do not know the story but as the grandchildren are growing I am learning. You were meant to teach the little ones..because you see the importance of visuals and FUN.
    God bless you all, I always follow your blog but don't always comment.
    It's usually 7:30am and I am at work so you and the girls always MAKE my mornings wonderful.Next best thing to talking with you. Love to all

     
  • At 2:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looks like loads of fun. I can't wait for Chloe to be in your class!

     
  • At 4:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Man, that looks great!! What a lot of work, but I'm sure your kids loved it. What a wonderful way to make learning fun. We can't wait to see you, only a couple of more weeks!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home